Initial Musings

I want to build a computer out of marbles.

I told a few people about this plan and they look at me like I am crazy.

What do I mean by making a computer out of marbles?

Modern digital computers take in instructions called 'programs' and execute them by running electricity through specialized gates. The results are then usually either returned or stored. Instead of running electricity through electronic gates, I intend to run marbles through mechanical gates using gravity to the same end (albeit slower and smaller).

The 'DigiComp II' and the 'Rule 110' marble computers are already built, but I will be doing something a bit different than those and other marble computers I've seen. My computer will use 2 different sized marbles for 1's and 0's and not store all information in the marbles themselves rather than the state of the machine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marble Computer Language

Marble Separator Prototype